Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How About Them Apples?


If you read this blog occasionally, you will remember that we had a crazy amount of apples and pears from our apple picking adventure a few weeks ago.

I am happy to report that we ate them all, in one form or another.

We made Crockpot Applesauce, Butternut Squash Soup, Apple Carrot Muffins, and Fruit Crumble. All were delicious, but the kids especially like the applesauce and muffins. Patrick and I have the fruit crumble to blame for us each gaining a pound that week.

I have linked a few of the recipes above if you are interested. You can still get some awesome apples from the farmers market and Trader Joes.

For the applesauce, all you do is peel, core, and quarter 8 medium to large apples, place them in the slow cooker with ½ cup of water and cook on low for about 6 hours. When you can stir them and they fall apart you know it is done. Add cinnamon or nutmeg or apple pie spice, depending on your taste. I also add a pinch of brown sugar, or a fourth a cup, or a half a cup. Try to act shocked. I have made this 4 times since apple picking. The kids love it and the consistency and taste is so much better than store bought.


After peeling a few apples by hand, I realized I need one of these for next year. It's from William Sonoma.

Don’t ask me where I would store it, but I would make life in September, October, and November a lot easier next year!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment