Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Diet Coke Detox Diary

About two years ago I realized that aspartame wrecks havoc on my system. Now, I don’t consume anything with aspartame, including diet soda. Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda is a totally different story, and has been my go to non-alcoholic beverage ever since. I can easily chug a six-pack a day. I have come to realize it is a sickness. Therefore, I’ve decided to break my addiction to Diet Coke with Splenda. In an effort to be held accountable, I give you my progress.

Day 1- Wednesday: It is rainy and dreary out. I get lots of emails and baking done. The kids are playing together nicely, shooting each other with their new cap guns. I drink coffee most the day because it is cold out. This seems to help me not think about DCw/S and I don’t go through caffeine withdrawals. My friend is in labor, so that is also a nice distraction- for me, not her!

Day 2- Thursday: My Godson is born. I have a lot to do before I can get to the hospital for a visit. I don’t have time to think about my addiction, or partake in it. I drink an ice tea in the evening. It’s no soda, but it is better than water. When I return from the hospital I tell Patrick that I am giving up DCw/S, his response is, “Why the hell are you doing that? DCw/Splenda is your thing.” I explain to him that it is full of chemicals and that the hot doctor on The Doctors says you shouldn’t drink it. Plus, it is expensive considering how many I drink daily. More importantly, my stockpile has run out and I refuse to shop at chain grocery stores. He laughs at me.

Day 3- Friday: I cling to my morning cup of coffee like a junkie to a cigarette. I’m sluggish in Zumba. I tell my friend Bridget that I am on day 3 of DCw/S detox. She gives me a horrified look and asks if I have given up all caffeine. I tell her I haven’t, and am trying to drink tea instead of soda. She informs me that tea makes her stomach upset. I mentally file this away in case I fall off the wagon and need a plausible excuse as to why. I suffer my first caffeine withdrawal headache. I try not to snap at the children. I snap at the children.

Day 4- Saturday: Patrick’s brother Jimmy was in town for business this week so we got to spend the day with him. We went to lunch (iced tea for me) and played around at his suite at the St. Regis. Then we hit the beach for an hour or so. The kids had fun running from the waves. I don’t know what it is about the beach- maybe the glare off the water and sand, but I never leave without a headache. A venti Starbucks iced coffee was needed stat.

Day 5- Sunday: I realized when I got up in the morning that this was probably the worst week, besides next week, to start my detox. This realization came at 5:30 in the morning when I hit bumper-to-bumper traffic on the freeway. At 5:50 a.m.! I was armed with my coffee, and pushed through. I ran the Long Beach Half Marathon and met my time goal. They had coconut water at the finish line. It has a lot of electrolytes but it tastes like ass. In the evening Patrick and I hit Toys R Us for some birthday present shopping. I really needed a pick me up, but I resisted. Patrick still doesn’t understand why I am doing this- he is probably concerned for the children.

Day 6- Monday: We are gearing up for a crazy busy week. Additionally, it is the day of the week that I try to get the big household chores done. My feet hurt from kicking so much butt last week. I don’t really want a DC today, until Monday Night Football. If the Bears win, I win the pool for the week. The Bears lose, so I tie with my best friend. Ugh!

Day 7- Tuesday: It is Vincent’s fifth birthday! Where has the time gone? I am helping with picture day at school, I have a birthday party, a class party, and two at home celebrations to prep for, as well as soccer camp stuff to get ready and the photo fundraiser this weekend. Coco and I are away from the house all day. Patrick picks up ice cream for the cake on the way home, and offers to pick up “anything else”. I know this is code for DC w/S. But I don’t want it. This is the first day I haven’t NEEDED it. We celebrate VW at home in the evening. No DC for me- cake helps.



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post. I really liked it. The article used in it is very good. Its information is very good.
    benzo detox boca raton

    ReplyDelete