Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Recent Breakup

I am addicted to coffee. I think this is a healthy addiction, and I am sure the family would agree because I am at my best when fully caffeinated.

As a consumer of fine coffee (and lattes, and mochas) Starbucks became my best friend. During law school, instead of going to the library, I went to Starbucks. I could blame this on NaKesha, but I am equally responsible for our choice of study spots. We would mix it up occasionally- by going to The Coffee Bean- but it felt dirty, like we were cheating.

Starbucks saw me through the many early mornings that followed Franklin’s sleepless nights, Vincent’s kidney surgery and first day of preschool, the bar exam.

But as any coffee junkie will tell you, the dependence on caffeine can be very expensive. You know you have an issue when half your debit card purchases are made at Starbucks. In an attempt to stop the insanity, I decided to breakup with Starbucks in the New Year. It was hard. My Starbucks Honorary Gold Card was miserable. I mourned the loss of my grande, no-foam, vanilla latte with one Splenda.

Three months later, I am pleased to say that I have kicked my daily Starbucks habit. I’m not going to lie, it is still difficult, but I now limit my visits to once every other week. No one has been maimed, injured or locked out on the street during the change.

For the love of my husband and children, I have not abandoned my coffee habit. Mr. Coffee makes me a pot every morning (and sometimes afternoon). I drink my breakfast out of a Starbucks mug- it’s comforting and familiar.

A couple weeks ago in need of a mocha fix I came up with this Mock Mocha recipe. It is easy, and I had all the ingredients in the fridge, because all responsible mothers have whipped cream and chocolate sundae syrup in their fridge, right?

Mock Mocha

10 oz (give or take) hot brewed coffee

half and half (to taste)

2-3 TBS Smucker’s Sundae Syrup

whipped cream

1 Splenda (optional)

Make your coffee the way you normally would- for me this is hot coffee, one Splenda and half and half until it bounces. If you don’t know what it means when coffee bounces, you probably don’t rely on coffee enough to “need” this recipe, but continue reading anyways.

Once your typical cup is ready, stir in about 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup. I like Smucker’s because it is not too sweet and it is fat free...but mostly because it is not too sweet. Stir well and top with whipped cream. Use the stuff from the can- don’t get pretentious and make it from scratch, you know you want the canned stuff. Enjoy without guilt or apology!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. At first, I thought you were going to say you kicked coffee all together -- that would be crazy! I can't function as a stay-at-home mom of 3 without my daily two cups of Joe -- it's just not possible! :-)

    ReplyDelete